Duke invests in a variety of programs to help faculty grow in their careers. We offer:
- Accommodative leave policies for research, sabbaticals and other academic purposes (Chapter 4, Faculty Handbook)
- Opportunities for interdisciplinary work, international work, and on-line education initiatives
- Leadership training and opportunities
- Service opportunities through DukeEngage
- Involvement with university-wide service through the Academic Council, Duke’s faculty senate and service of faculty on search and review committees for university administrators.
In addition to the career development opportunities available to all Duke faculty, particular schools offer their faculty additional training. For example, the School of Medicine offers an active and ongoing series of faculty development sessions covering topics such as grant writing; negotiations; appointments, promotion and tenure; and mentoring and leadership. On campus, the Office of Research Support and in the School of Medicine, the Office of Research Administration also offer programs to help faculty manage the nuts and bolts of research careers.