Student Complaints Policies

Student Complaints

Duke University Policies and Procedures

Federal regulations require Duke to provide current and prospective students with the contact information for filing complaints with appropriate state agencies and other regulatory entities. Duke is committed to providing learning environments in which complaints arising out of on-campus and distance-based programs are responded to promptly and with maximum protection to the parties. To that end, the Office of Institutional Equity at Duke administers policies and procedures for complaints and concerns arising out of institutional equity considerations.  For grievances unrelated to institutional equity matters, students are encouraged to utilize the process that follows for resolving complaints at the University.  Students may also contact the Office of the Provost, 220 Allen Building, Box 90005, Durham, North Carolina or (919) 681-1396 for questions about student complaints.

Step 1:     Students should initially file a complaint with the school in which he/she is enrolled in accordance with the Duke Community Standard in Practice as well as the policies contained in the school’s bulletin and bylaws. Such student complaint policies can be found in the bulletins administered by the schools at the following:

Step 2: Students whose complaints remain unresolved through Step 1 of this process are encouraged to contact the Dean of the school in which he/she is enrolled at the following:

•    Trinity College of Arts and Sciences (phone:  919-684-4863)
•    Pratt School of Engineering (phone:  919-660-5389)
•    School of Nursing (phone:  919-684-9444)
•    School of Medicine (phone:  919-684-2455)
•    School of Law (phone:  919-613-7001)
•    Divinity School (phone:  919-660-3434)
•    Sanford School of Public Policy (phone:  919-613-7309)
•    Nicholas School of the Environment (phone:  919-613-8135)
•    Graduate School (phone:  919-681-1560)
•    Fuqua School of Business (phone:  919-660-7822)



Students whose complaints remain unresolved through the internal process overseen by the University may contact Duke’s accreditor, the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC), at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or by phone at (404) 679-4500 in accordance with SACSCOC complaint procedures


SARA North Carolina and Other State Entities

Duke University is a participating institution in the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA) administered by SARA North Carolina. Students may file a complaint via the process and form established by SARA North Carolina at P.O. Box 14103, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina 27709 or by phone at (919) 549-8614, ext. 4667 and email at

In addition to the grievance procedures set forth by SARA North Carolina, students may a file a complaint with the state in which they are residing and receiving instruction provided by Duke. 

Furthermore, students may file a complaint with the North Carolina Department of Justice via this form. Residents of the State of North Carolina may call the Department at (877) 566-7226 while individuals residing outside the State of North Carolina may contact the Department at (919) 716-6000.  Individuals that wish to contact the Department in Spanish are encouraged to call the Department at (919) 716-0058.
Please also use the following address to mail complaints to the Department:

Consumer Protection Division
Attorney General’s Office
Mail Service Center 9001
Raleigh, NC 27699-9001 


Professional Licensure Programs

Students interested in enrolling in programs leading to professional licensure at the School of Nursing are highly encouraged to visit a webpage established by Duke for more information about these compliance issues that are of particular concern to the field of nursing.  Students may also contact Dr. Ernie Rushing, Director of Recruitment and Admissions for the Duke University School of Nursing at 307 Trent Drive, Durham, North Carolina or (919) 668-6274 for more information about these considerations.   In addition, students may contact the Board of Nursing in their state for inquiries regarding nursing education and the School of Nursing's status with these regulatory agencies.

Additional professional licensure disclosures required by federal regulations can be found here.